In January, a Calhoun County jury found Tanrrance Maurice Landrum, 24, guilty of first-degree assault.
Witnesses to the shooting testified in January that Landrum and another man, who has yet to be identified, shot the teenager, now 14, as he and three family members were leaving a barbeque at the complex on March 10. The victim, who was the only person injured in the shooting, was hit once in the back and once in the arm.
Witnesses from both the prosecution and defense testified in January that Landrum had had an altercation with the victim’s cousin earlier that day.
Howell said first-degree assault usually carries a prison sentence of two to 20 years. But because Landrum had a previous felony conviction on a third-degree burglary charge out of Cleburne County, he was sentenced in accordance with the state’s habitual offender act.
Sheila Field, the assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case, asked for Landrum’s sentence to be nothing less than 20 years. The minimum prison sentence Landrum could have received under the habitual offender act was 10 years. The maximum was 99 years or life, Howell said.
Howell said one factor he used to determine the length of the sentence was the severity of the victim’s injuries, which have caused physical limitations. The teenager testified that he now has difficulty standing up and sleeping.
“I obviously didn’t want to go with the minimum sentence because I thought what he did was egregious,” Howell said. “I just thought that looking at all the factors and all the circumstances involved that 25 years was the appropriate amount.”
Susan Henderson, Landrum’s court appointed attorney, declined to comment on Landrum’s sentencing but said that her client will file an appeal.
Field said by phone Thursday that she and the victim’s family were satisfied with Howell’s decision.
“I believe justice was served,” Field said.
Staff writer Madasyn Czebiniak: 256-235-3546. On Twitter @MCzebiniak_Star.