Here are some facts that might help you make your decision:
• It is estimated that only 15 percent of cigarette smoke gets inhaled by the smoker. The remaining 85 percent lingers in the air for everyone to breathe.
• Secondhand smoke contains 43 cancer-causing agents.
• 53,000 non-smokers die each year from secondhand smoke.
• 9 out of 10 non-smoking Americans are exposed to secondhand smoke at least once every two to three days.
If you are a smoker and you’re ready to quit, we’re ready to help you. It’s time. Call the Alabama Tobacco Quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or 1-800-784-8669. Call for free counseling to give up smoking and chewing tobacco.
Area 6 Tobacco Prevention
and Control Coordinator
Alabama Department of Public Health