Family nights will be held 5:30-7 p.m. each Monday in January and February at the Hobson City Public Library, 610 Martin Luther King Drive. Get your “Passport to the World” and visit a different country every week. Your name will be entered into a drawing to win a $50 gift card. Visit England Jan. 21, Jamaica Jan. 28, Africa Feb. 4, China Feb. 11, France Feb. 18, and Brazil Feb. 25.
A story, activity and special food sampling will be featured each week. Countries are subject to change. The Altrusa Club is also a sponsor of this event. Call 256-831-7069 for more information.
Events at the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County include:
• Zumba, 10 a.m., Jan. 23 and 31.
Publisher of Sleepytown Press, Randy Young, will speak at the Writers of Calhoun County meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Family Life Center of Parker Memorial Baptist Church, 1200 Quintard Ave. The topic is trends in the publishing world. Light refreshments will be served. New writers are welcome. Call 256-453-3808 for more information.
Home School Days will be held 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday at the Anniston Museum of Natural History and the Berman Museum of World History. Visit www.annistonmuseum.org and www.bermanmuseum.org for more information.
Calhoun County RSVP volunteers will provide free tax counseling and assistance at the following locations and times beginning Jan. 28 through April 15:
• Anniston, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday, Tuesday and Friday, United Way Building, 1505 Wilmer Ave., suite B.
• Jacksonville, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday, Jacksonville Train Depot, 650 Mountain St., N.W.
• Oxford, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, Oxford Public Library basement, 110 E. 6th St.
• Weaver, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday, Weaver City Hall, 406 Anniston St.
Taxpayers must bring the following items to have their tax returns prepared:
• Photo I.D.
• Social Security car for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents, if applicable.
• Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return.
• Current year’s tax package if they received one.
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers.
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
• A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns, if applicable.
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit.
• Other relevant information about income and expenses (total amount paid for day care, day care providers identifying number).
• To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Free tax preparation is a service of the Calhoun County Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Gentiva Hospice of Oxford is in need of volunteers to serve in a variety of areas from administrative help to offering support to a hospice patient through visits or weekly phone calls. Volunteers are thoroughly trained and provided with ongoing education. Call Andrea Reaves at 256-831-2964 for more information.
Upcoming trips with Doris Haan include Washington, D.C., March 21-26 to depart from Gadsden. The National Cherry Blossom festival is held during this time. A trip to Savannah, Ga., will be May 6-10. Register early to reserve your place. Call 256-492-3465 to register and for more information.
Anniston High School class of 1988 is planning an alumni cruise for November. All AHS class of 1988 and other Anniston High School alumni interested should contact Tamara Reed Christopher at 256-310-7118 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Chris Hill of Anniston is a volunteer “ambassador” for Dogs for the Deaf, a non-profit organization in Oregon that rescues dogs from animal shelters and trains them to help adults and children with different disabilities, challenges and needs. Hill is available to make presentations for the organization and its program. Call 256-835-6918 or email email@example.com for more information.