The two-story brick building at 2 West Third Street belonged to ServiceMaster, a business that provides disaster restoration services to homes damaged by floods, storms, vandalism or fires.
Anniston Fire Department responded to the Saturday’s blaze. No one was injured during the incident.
Anniston fire Lt. Bryan Tumlin said he believes the fire started from a spark ignited within the wiring components of the building. Tumlin said the blaze was strengthened by detergents and deodorizers that were stored near the original source of the flames.
“That really increased the intensity of the fire,” Tumlin said, “It made it a lot worse real quick.”
Tumlin said the Alabama Fire Marshals assisted in the investigation.
The lieutenant said the city has asked the building owner to have the structure demolished. The intersections of Noble Street and Fourth Street and Noble Street and B Street will remain closed until that happens, Tumlin said.
“We can’t open a road up when a 25 foot building could fall down,” he said.
Tumlin said he’s unsure when the streets will reopen, but it will be at least a few days.
Attempts to reach ServiceMaster owner, Scott Mims, Wednesday were unsuccessful.
Staff Writer Rachael Griffin: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RGriffin_Star.