Eighty-year-old man dies after being rescued from Oxford house fire
by Staff Reports
Apr 17, 2013 | 13311 views |  0 comments | 19 19 recommendations | email to a friend | print
An 80-year old man rescued from an Oxford house fire Tuesday died in a Birmingham hospital today as a result of smoke inhalation and burns, according to Oxford fire Chief Gary Sparks.

The fire occurred Tuesday morning in a house at 130 Stone St., according to Oxford police Chief Bill Partridge.

Partridge said he was first to arrive at the burning house, where a neighbor told him a man was still inside. Partridge said he went inside and found Franklin Odom lying on the floor in a hallway.

“The fire got too hot and the smoke was too heavy, so I had to come back out,” Partridge said.

The police chief said he wasn’t wearing any protective equipment, but shortly after, Sparks arrived and rescued Odom.

Sparks said Odom was airlifted to UAB Hospital.

Sparks, Partridge and two Oxford medics were taken to Regional Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation.

Partridge was at work Wednesday and Sparks said he would return Thursday.

According to Sparks, the Alabama Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the fire an accident.

“Our prayers are with the family,” Sparks said. “We wish it would have turned out different.”
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 24, 2014